Itteringham.com

 



Mannington Church




Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel
Mannington Church
St Nicholas

Mannington Church was an estate church attached to Mannington Hall. It was of Saxon origin and like
St. Mary's of Itteringham, it was enlarged through the gift of Aymer de Valence in the 1200s.

July 2002

In 1404 John Scarle was instituted as Rector to Mannington and also Saxthorpe free chapel. Presented by both Robert Braybrook, Bishop of London ffeoffees (deocosees) of Ruthyn Kent.

Sir John Goote was listed as priest in 1597

Cecil Baxter outside Mannington church c.1925
Cecil Baxter outside Mannington church c.1925

July 2002

The parishes of Itteringham and Mannington were formally ...consolidated into one joint benefice and one rectory on 17th March 1780 after the joint petition of Lord Walpole and the Reverend Mordaunt Leathes who both held livings in the gift of Lord Walpole. It was judged that ...the livings together make a moderate provision for a minister.

 
July 2002

By 1800 the church was described as "disused." However it has never been deconsecrated and the 4th Earl of Orford chose to be buried in its ruins where he had created a folly garden full of old stonework and mock memorials. As recently as 1982 a baptism took place within its walls and services are still regularly held in the summer and at Christmas.

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Top of Page